Calling the Other Out

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sat Feb 12 14:44:22 PST 2000

I wonder if calling a someone a fascist has ever changed their mind about being fascist?

Someone called me an idiot once, I didn't believe them. Still don't.

If someone is trying to change things... toward what they believe to be the better... will calling them an idiot change their mind?

Imperialists have tended to see themselves less as destroyers than as creators.

I wonder what would happen if I felt misunderstood. Would I sink further into my ideological positioning or would I convert?

What does my neighbour think about?

Anger infuriates me.

There is always a risk in giving something a name.

The more strenuous the conviction, the more suspicious I am of the motive.

It's easier to laugh when people nearest me are laughing. I have found it difficult to stay angry when I'm amused.

Solidarity exists when we are able to share certain things despite, or perhaps because of, our differences.

Can work together, even if our aims are contradictory?

tenderness and affection, ken