Zizek = the Third Way (was Re: Zizek on Haider)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Sat Feb 12 21:06:21 PST 2000

<< Is one supposed to struggle only out of duty or

>self-denial?

>Doug

Of course one is, if one is named Immanuel Kant or T.S. Eliot...

I don't know about Eliot, but this is not a recoorect statement of Kant's views. Kant did think that good actions that were done merely out of inclination were not morally praiseworthy, that is, did not reflect morally well on the actor, because after all you can't help your inclinations. He does say that it's some basis for thinking that a good action is morally praiseworthyt that it is done against one's inclinations, but he shouldn't strictly say this, because on his own theory we cannnot ever know hen out actions are noumenally determined and really free, thus rational and so right. However, it consistent with his view that goos actions that are also done from inclination are also done from Reason,a nd so are morally praiseworthy. It's just that you will never know.

--jks