lux et veritas

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Sun Feb 13 07:34:29 PST 2000

On Saturday, February 12, 2000 at 17:20:23 (-0500) Max B. Sawicky writes:
>Can we disagree without calling people and their positions
>"disgusting" and "unscrupulous"? I think this is part of what Justin
>was talking about when he cited the disturbing culture of the left.
>Who'd want to affiliate with such a bunch of hotheads?
>Doug
>>>>>>>>>>>

>That's just the cyber culture.

Yup, I think e-mail is a perfect way to dispense with the normal restraint one uses when engaged in face-to-face discussions. It's also a horribly inefficient way to actually discuss anything, as opposed to speaking past others, for which it is ideally suited (or, let's say "biased").

I had a short discussion about this (face-to-face) with a few friends of mine at work (we're all programmers who heavily communicate through e-mail). E-mail works very well for broadcasting of statements of activity ("I just finished the e-mail spell-checking program and have released it to our test machines..."), but often extremely poorly for discussion (of algorithms, of software specifications, of programming style, of just about anything). In face-to-face discussion, you have about 1,000 times as many back-and-forth exchanges, in the presence of a gesticulating human, which is a great way to lessen ambiguity for one, and a great way to realize that what you are about to say will actually cause pain to someone sitting right next to you. E-mail can work for this, but it requires self-restraint (i.e., atomized responsibility, a la the market) and careful attention to possible ambiguity in what you and others write.

> .... It's that
>people with nothing to say just can't shut up,
>and everyone is too polite to tell them so.

I don't know where you get this stupid idea.

Bill