Neo-Asceticism in Postmodernism

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sun Feb 13 08:58:19 PST 2000

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:44:58 -0500 kelley <oudies at flash.net> wrote:

> >(BTW, I seldom ever see anyone change his mind because of persuasion from
the opposite side on an e-mail list [of all things!].)

You and Carrol (primarily) prompted me to read Lacan's The Psychoses again, not to mention Dews essay(s) from Limits of Dis... and Rob got me to read Postone... and Doug... Wallstreet and Kelley and Gary The Magus and Bataille... (and Rimbaud)(and I'm just getting started!). And I'm still collecting ref's from Kell like a fiend. Damn, half of my research is due to 'on-line' recommendations.

> ken persuaded me to read zizek.

Kelley, in particular, has forced me to reconsider Durkheim... not to mention several of the key tenets of psychoanalysis - and she keeps pressing me about sociology vs. social theory. I've changed my mind half a dozen times, at least, because of arguments I've had through various email lists. It's a community thing I guess. I have found participating in list arguments to be invaluable to my research.

three cheers to admitting that one is moving in the wrong direction, ken