[Fwd: [BRC-MUMIA] Educators for Mumia Ad]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 13 09:32:10 PST 2000

I am forwarding this both for its own importance and as a comment on a recent lbo thread. Note the list of names of those who are not too pure to associate themselves with the obnoxious RCP in their concern over a great injustice. I quote from near the end of this fwd post:

Ponder "the Appeal" to sign issued by some of the greatest educator/writers of our time: TONI MORRISON, NOAM CHOMSKY, ANGELA Y. DAVIS, JONATHAN KOZOL, RUDOLFO ANAYA, LESLIE MARMON SILKO, CORNEL WEST, FRANCES FOX PIVEN, MANNING MARABLE, SONIA SANCHEZ, JAMES H. CONE.

Carrol

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [BRC-MUMIA] Educators for Mumia Ad Resent-Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:54:03 -0800 (PST) Resent-From: Art McGee <amcgee at igc.org> Resent-To: brc-mumia at egroups.com Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:43:15 -0500 From: "C. Clark Kissinger" <cck1 at earthlink.net> To: cck1 at earthlink.net

URGENT MEMO !

"EDUCATORS FOR MUMIA" NYTIMES AD NEEDS YOUR HELP NOW!

>From Mark Taylor, Coordinator of the "Educators for Mumia" Ad Campaign.

With Mumia Abu-Jamal facing the very important Federal decision expected this Spring, citizens from all public sectors need to step forward, through every media outlet possible, with the clarion call: "Stop the Execution, Grant Mumia a new trial."

Your giving to the "Educators for Mumia Abu-Jamal" full-page ad, which is planned for The New York Times, has been steady and shows much commitment. Thanks to all of you who have sent in your names and donations, often in remembrance of students and friends who are imprisoned or have been victims of police brutality. I am pleased to say all levels of education - elementary, secondary, community, college, university and professional schools - are represented.

We still have a long way to go! We do not yet have even half of what is required for this full page ad. We need to get the ad out soon, before Mumia goes into his Federal District court hearing in Philadelphia. Before that time, as authorities now assess just how much the people care about Mumia, we need to show that we are uncompromisingly outspoken and acting on his behalf.

As the National Coordinating Committee for Mumia discussed it last year, the educators' ad is a very important part of our struggle. Read the text of the ad to see how the movement for Mumia focuses so many issues crucial to work as educators. Educators teach, learn from, and work with, the young people who ARE the next generation. Yoked to that generation as we are, educators need to send a message that we will not accept a future that hustles Mumia off to the death chamber as another of the nearly 2 persons per week - predominantly Black, Brown and poor - that State officials are now averaging as they implement the death penalty. Send a message that says publicly, through The New York Times and in every metropolis, that we do not accept a future without Mumia Abu-Jamal's life and the courageous voice he has raised for so many of the rest of us.

Ponder "the Appeal" to sign issued by some of the greatest educator/writers of our time: TONI MORRISON, NOAM CHOMSKY, ANGELA Y. DAVIS, JONATHAN KOZOL, RUDOLFO ANAYA, LESLIE MARMON SILKO, CORNEL WEST, FRANCES FOX PIVEN, MANNING MARABLE, SONIA SANCHEZ, JAMES H. CONE. You can find their Appeal and the Text of the ad on the web site at http://www.freemumia.org/EducatorsForMumia.html . All the information is also there for you to make your contribution.

If you can print out this "Urgent Memo," along with the Appeal and Text of the ad, do so and send it to your friends. Email them now, as you can. If you supervise a web site, please post this Memo and the Appeal and Text for readier access to all. If you are doing mailings to organizations, please include this Urgent Memo as one insert. The minimum contribution for printing your name in the ad is only $35.00, but if you or people you know can make larger contributions, we do need their help.

BRC-MUMIA: Black Radical Congress - Mumia Abu-Jamal News/Info/Discussion

Questions/Problems: send email to <brc-mumia-owner at egroups.com>

------------------------------------------------------------------------ For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here for a chance to win a digital camera. http://click.egroups.com/1/337/0/_/20091/_/950216562/

-- Talk to your group with your own voice! -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=brc-mumia&m=1