Can you help me?

Lew lew at higgins.org.uk
Sun Feb 13 13:28:43 PST 2000

In article <I3aAvAAMBvp4MwS5 at heartfield.demon.co.uk>, Jim heartfield <jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk> writes
>Can anyone help me?
>
>I am looking for good insiders' accounts, i.e. memoirs or articles, of
>the New Right in the late seventies and eighties, in America mostly.
>
>I'm especially interested in accounts of how it all came together and of
>how it all fell apart.

A seminal work is David Ramsey Steele's book _From Marx to Mises_. Published in the US in 1992 but drawing on work produced in the previous 15 or so years. It's mainly concerned with "the economic calculation argument" but it articulates the libertarian New Right argument against Marxism. Steele (a Brit) had spent the previous decade as a Marxist and a decade earlier had written for the underground magazine, Oz.

Steele was a founding member of the UK Libertarian Alliance. He was honest enough to acknowledge that most of the ideas and money came from the US and he ended up teaching at the University of Chicago. As for what happened to the Libertarian Alliance, you will need to look at back issues of the anti-fascist magazine Searchlight. I'm sure Steele was horrified, but others in the LA obviously saw no conflict between fascism and the free market. A reconstructed, non-fascist LA currently exists but its members remain aggressively clueless about why the free market now fails to thrill. -- Lew