Moon Pie (was: Re: Zizek = the Third Way)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 08:26:07 PST 2000

> > One of the obvious faults with the such-as-it-is left is that its
> > perspective on *everything* seems to be limited to "cold hard looks."
> > Whatever happened to the warmth and mellowness of the counterculture?
> >
> > Carl
>

>OK, a warm, soft look, whatever. Point is, people on this list and the left
>in general carry on in such a way that it's hard to see what anyone would
>be attracted to it. --jks

Yes, I agree. One of the main differences between the "old" and "new" left was that the former was characterized by a dukes-up disputatiousness that was wholly self-defeating. Say what you will about the Yippies and their analogs, there was a spirit of infectious good cheer about leftists during the '60s that rightwingers simply couldn't come to terms with; it always made them look heavy-handed, humorless and ridiculous.