Good News on Copyright Law: 9th Cir. Upholds Reverse Engineering

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Feb 14 08:44:17 PST 2000

NN, breathlessly . . .

> I suppose kids have the time to sit around and
> burn CD's and DVD's for hours on end, but my guess
> is that most people don't... Ergo I have to wonder about the actual
> importance of this to copyright owners.

Max, I think you are missing the convergence of technologies that are making the record companies piss in their collective corporate pants. Burning CDs lasts for about two or three more years. Hard drives are about to appear that can hold more music than any traditional music collection out there. DVDs will be transferred directly to hard drives at lightning speeds . . .

Unless they start selling music & film on hard drives, it's still gonna take a while for the code to get from cd/DVD to hard drive, and from HD to the net. I've got a DSL line, but downloading 700 meg movie or music CD is still pretty daunting. Typically on these bootleg sites, to get something you have to give something (more time).

Eventually we will transmit data instantly from chips implanted in our brains, but that will be a while coming.

Those new MP3 walkman's hold what, one CD? How long does it take to load one up? Feh.

mbs