Moon Pie (was: Re: Zizek = the Third Way)

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Mon Feb 14 09:01:20 PST 2000

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Whatever happened to the warmth and mellowness of the counterculture?
>
>Altamont.
>Doug
>>>>>>>>

>I trace it earlier, to the rise of The Who.
>They elevated cynicism to an art form.

Yeah, Max, but mainly by way of a youthful rejection of the old - in a time when the numbers and economic clout of youth allowed such cheek. Sorta unifying by opposing, if you like. Hence 'Hope I die before I get old' and 'Why don't you all f-f-f-fade away; don't try and dig what we all say' (My Generation) or 'The simple things you see are all complicated; I look pretty young but I'm just backdated' (Substitute) or 'You think you've deceived me but here's a surprise; I know that you have coz there's magic in my eyes' (I can see for miles and miles) or all of Won't Get Fooled Again (which was, admittedly, slightly changed by Townsend in later years as an ironic rebuke to those he now considered thusly fooled).

Even 'The Who Sell Out' was a delicious piss-take, for mine.

Poms are just like that, I reckon. And I like 'em for it, meself.

Cheers, Rob.