god & the market

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Mon Feb 14 12:20:19 PST 2000

Today in my intro econ classes I talked about the scientific method as a way to uncover the "truth" of our economic system. Starting from initial assumptions, we trace out the logic of these assumptions to yield hypotheses or predictions. Then, very important, we must put these hypotheses to the test. Of course I pointed out how difficult this whole process is, especially the problem of devising good tests. But my main point was that if you stopped after generating the predictions, you were not acting scientifically but were in fact in the grip of an ideology. I used Card and Kreuger's studies of the effects of raising the minimum wage to illustrate this. Neoclassicals were aghast at their results, and just could not believe them. The Wall St. Journal editorialized against them. Card and Kreuger even uncovered publication bias in neoclassical journals, which were more likely to publish articles which upheld the orthodox position that raising the minimum wage leads to employment loss than those which did not.

After I finished I asked: "What response should you make to me if I state that the only reason poor women have more kids is to collect more welfare money. A young man responded when I called on him, "yeah, I can see that they would"!!! The market place as a punisher of sins, indeed!! Statements without any attempt to test are the stock and trade of all too many social scientists.

Michael Yates