productivity miracle or workhouse?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 14 16:40:10 PST 2000

Michael Perelman wrote:

>As United States moves further into relying on intellectual property rights,
>productivity is bound to soar since the labor component is minimal for most
>intellectual property goods. It's all fixed costs.

In response to that, and to Brad's stuff on New Economy goods, I wonder: just how significant are they to overall output? Movies and software are chic, but they're not *that* big a share of GDP. IP is important to chip design and drug manufacture, but those things aren't easy to duplicate unless you spend lots of money setting up manufacturing plants. So what are we really talking about here?

Doug