[Fwd: [BRC-MUMIA] Mass Civil Disobedience in Washington DC Feb. 28th for aNew Trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal and Against the Death Penalty]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 15 06:02:21 PST 2000

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [BRC-MUMIA] Mass Civil Disobedience in Washington DC Feb. 28th for aNew Trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal and Against the Death Penalty Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 14:28:30 -0500 From: Mumia CD Committee <jr273 at columbia.edu> To: brc-mumia at egroups.com

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + ++ + + + + + ++ + + + + + ++ + + + ACTION IN SUPPORT OF MUMIA AND AGAINST + + THE DEATH PENALTY AT THE U.S. SUPREME COURT; SEE BELOW + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + ++ + + + + + ++ + + + + + ++ + ++

NYC Coalition to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal * Civil Disobedience Committee PO Box 650, New York, NY 10009 212-330-8029 or (914) 353-5032 (ask for Liz) <mumiacd at hotmail.com> www.brechtforum.org/mumiacd.shtml

February 4, 2000

Dear Friend and Fellow Activist,

As you are aware, the case of Mumia Abu-Jamal is currently in the final, most critical phase of the appeal process. Two court decisions will be key in determining his fate. Federal District Court Judge William Yohn is reviewing Mumia's petition for habeas corpus, and will decide whether or not Mumia will receive an "evidentiary hearing" to reopen the factual record in his case. This is Mumia's final legal avenue to determine whether he is granted a new and fair trial. It is anticipated that Yohn's decision will be handed down in either March or April. If he loses at this level, it will be infinitely harder to win in the federal appeals courts where no new evidence will be permitted and Judge Albert Sabo's findings will stand.

Simultaneously, the U.S. Supreme Court will be ruling on the constitutionality of the "Effective Death Penalty Act," a law that strips prisoners (like Mumia) of their right to introduce new evidence in the federal appeals process. If they permit the law to stand, Judge Yohn's hands may be tied. After this stage, the appeals process is rapid and could result in a new execution date before the end of this year.

Our intention here is not to scare you or present ourselves as alarmists. But history reflects that courts are greatly affected by the voices and actions of the people. Witness: The Montgomery bus boycott forced the courts to rule against segregation. Witness: The power of the people forced the court to overturn the conviction of Black Panther leader Huey P. Newton. Without question, the growing movement to free Mumia has achieved a lot within the last few years. Witness: In August 1995 an international outcry resulted in saving Mumia's life after his first death warrant was signed. Witness: Last year the U.S. 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Mumia's rights had been violated when prison officials read his legal mail and the court then issued an injunction prohibiting further spying by the officials. However, we still have much more work to do! Now more than ever, our energies and efforts must be intensified...

To this end, we are writing with some specific requests:

1) JOIN US AT A MASS NONVIOLENT CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE AND SIMULTANEOUS LEGAL RALLY ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2000 AT THE U.S. SUPREME COURT IN WASHINGTON, D.C. (1st Street NE and East Capital Street) This action will generate national and international media attention and will express our support for Mumia and our outrage at the death penalty and the 1996 Effective Death Penalty Act, which denies prisoners the right to present new evidence that may exonerate them. The action will occur on the very day arguments begin on Williams vs Taylor, a case that may determine the constitutionality of the Effective Death Penalty Act. The legal demonstration and action will be happening between 9 am and 11 am on February 28th. There will also be a short interfaith prayer service at the United Methodist Building (next door to the court) before the demonstration at a time to be announced. People planning only to attend the demonstration and not risk arrest can arrive on the morning of the 28th. Buses are available leaving the NYC area, call (212) 330-8029 and leave a message for times and ticket information (call now, supplies of inexpensive tickets are limited).

2) IF YOU ARE PART OF AN ORGANIZATION, PLEASE ENDORSE THIS ACTION AND COMMIT TO FORMING AN AFFINITY GROUP. If you are non-affiliated, form an affinity group of friends and/or family. If you would like to risk arrest, but cannot form an affinity group, contact the CD Sub-Committee so that we can connect you with an affinity group. Those risking arrest who have been trained can expand or form affinity groups at our Affinity Group Building Event Feb. 17 at 7 pm. Call Liz at 914 353-5032 for details. All people risking arrest must be trained in nonviolent civil disobedience. A New York City area training is scheduled for Sunday, February 13th from 1-6pm, call (914) 353-5032 for the exact location. We are also holding a training in D.C. on February 27th in which case you may want to arrive in D.C. on Saturday night, February 26th. Alternatively, you can be trained in your area--just let us know of what the training consisted. All arrestees MUST attend a pre-action meeting on the evening of February 27th in D.C. Please let us know how many people you are coming with, and when you are arriving so that we can arrange housing. Do advanced media work with local papers/stations, saying what you are doing and why. We can send you a model press release if you need one.

3) HELP WITH THE PLANNING AND OUTREACH FOR THE CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE AND LEGAL RALLY. Organizer's packets are available. Simply contact us at the numbers above so that we can get material to you ASAP. Do advanced fundraising in your community to help with costs/bail/fines that may be incurred.

4) IF YOU'RE TOO FAR FROM D.C. OR OTHER REGIONAL SOLIDARITY ACTIONS (we can connect you with these) then plan your own demonstration/civil disobedience or vigil. Hold a press conference. Call your local TV, radio stations and newspapers to cover your action. Let us know what you are planning. Please send us clippings of articles, copies of press releases etc. so we can include your action as part of a national day of action for Mumia. Pressure your local/city/regional media to cover the mass actions in D.C. and San Francisco.

5) DONATE $25 (more if you can, less if you can't) to assist with the costs of fines, transportation, housing, food, copying, postage, etc., etc., etc. Let us not be fooled. Organizing costs. At present, we are coming out of pocket money, beggin', borrowin' and liberatin', but we need help!!! Despite the media's assertions, Mumia work is not a well-funded machine. It is a grassroots movement (which makes it all the better.) Checks and Money Orders can be made out to the NYC Coalition to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal, marked CD Sub-Committee, and sent to PO Box 650, New York, NY 10009.

And please join our email list and check our website-<www.brechtforum.org/mumiacd.shtml>-regularly to stay abreast of new developments.

Thank you for your work and sacrifices. Perhaps we do not say it enough, but we truly need and appreciate every effort that is made to free Mumia and fight against injustice.

Please fill out the form below and either send it in with your check, or return it to <mumiacd at hotmail.com>. Make checks payable to NYC Coalition to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal * write Civil Disobedience Committee in the note section of the check and mail it to us at: PO Box 650, New York, NY 10009. Thanks, Free Mumia!

For the NYC Coalition to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal/Civil Disobedience Sub-Committee Kai Lumumba Barrow Toby Emmer + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + PLEASE NOTE: If you send this to the <mumiacd at hotmail.com> address, PLEASE DELETE THE LETTER PART OF THE MESSAGE. (Send ONLY the FORM part. It makes it easier for us to process your reply.) You may also fax your response to 212-645-7280

____________________________

Supreme Court Action Response Form

If you have already filled out a FORM with the requested information, please indicate this and e-mail or fax the form to the following fax line: 212-645-7280

Name: __________________________________________________________

(____) I have already filled out a similar form with my name and address.)

Address: : __________________________________________________________

City, State, ZIP:__________________________________________________________

Phone:______________________________________

Email: : _____________________________________

FAX: : _____________________________________

PLEASE CHECK ALL THAT APPLY.

___Yes! I look forward to risking arrest and will form an affinity group.

___Yes! I look forward to risking arrest, but need help finding an affinity group.

___Yes! I look forward to attending the legal rally, but cannot risk arrest.

___Yes! I am part of an organization that wishes to endorse this action.

___Yes! I want to stay abreast of events, so please add me to your email list.

Organization:_____________________________________ Address: _____________________________________ Phone: _____________________________________ FAX: : _____________________________________ Email: : _____________________________________

___Yes! I look forward to helping plan the action. Send me an Organizer's Packet.

___Yes! I look forward to sharing all my worldly possessions with the movement; however, at this time I am sending a check/m.o. for ________

___Yes! I look forward to passing this message on and helping raise $ and participation.

___Yes! I can't make it to Washington, but will plan solidarity action(s) or other support work in my area, and send to you the relevant information!

Make checks payable to NYC Coalition to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal * write Civil Disobedience Committee in the note section of the check and mail it to us at: PO Box 650, New York, NY 10009.

Contacts in the Washington area: FEBRUARY 28 COALITION FOR MUMIA (202) 722-4783 <coalition_for_mumia at hotmail.com>

West Coast contacts: Joint Action for Mumia P.O. Box 3585 Oakland, CA 94609 (510) 389-2377 <jerichosfbay at hotmail.com>

BRC-MUMIA: Black Radical Congress - Mumia Abu-Jamal News/Info/Discussion

Questions/Problems: send email to <brc-mumia-owner at egroups.com>