productivity miracle or workhouse?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 15 07:44:25 PST 2000

Roger Odisio wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > Has the rate of profit hit 0 yet? I keep waiting....
>
>I suppose you're waiting Doug because you think Marx's the law of the
>tendency of the rate of profit to fall was a prediction of what will
>happen to published profit rates.

I've read accounts of Marxian rates of profit too. Shaikh says the U.S. rate is going up.

I confess I find the whole FROP theory - at least the kind based on the rising OCC - completely mystical and largely useless. The "countervailing tendencies" Marx identified have largely done their work. I'm happy to listen to arguments to the contrary, but I've yet to be convinced.

Doug