profits

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 15 08:27:02 PST 2000

Rakesh:

>ps2. Doug, profit rate does not have to fall to zero to choke accumulation.
>See Grossmann.

The 0 was a joke. But what evidence is there that accumulation has been choked? For an area supposedly in the grip of stagnation, EU profit rates (by bourgeois measures, yes - has anyone put the EU accounts through the translation machine?) are pretty high, and by any measure, US profit rates rose from the early 80s through the mid-90s. Japan is a bit of a mess, I'll concede that, but I doubt it will be a mess forever.

But we've been here before.

Doug