2m in jail

Guilherme Roschke gr at network3.entropy.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 15 14:34:15 PST 2000

> Guardian (London) - February 15, 2000
>
> Anger grows as US jails its two millionth inmate
> The land of the free is now home to 25% of the world's prison population
>
> Duncan Campbell in Los Angeles

any ref's to people addressing the impact of this incarceration rate on unemployment figures? both in terms of removing people from the labor force and in the impact of prison jobs.

i.e. is it empirically plausible to claim what we are seeing is the ole "employ half the masses to imprison the other half"? or does this theory just miss out on the profitability of prisons as the driving factor?

-gr