Cops Etc

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 15 16:55:47 PST 2000

Carrol wrote:
> What do lbo list members think should be the attitude
>of leftists in respect to cops, prison guards, National
>Guard commissioned officers, etc. Should unions allow
>prison guards in their ranks? AFSCME includes prison
>guards, including those at the infamous Pontiac Prison
>in Illinois.

The less cops, prison guards, & soldiers we have, the better. The more money spent on cops, prison guards, & armed forces, the less money we have for schools, health care, etc. It's a zero-sum game. Moreover, the more individuals have law enforcement jobs, the more likely the war on crime is to continue, since organized cops, etc. lobby for tougher laws on crime & less civil liberties. The general interest of the working class and the particular interest of the armed agents of the state are inherently contradictory.

Yoshie