Save us from 60s Nostalgia (RE: Sweeney Defends Gore Endorsement

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Feb 15 19:12:30 PST 2000

Nathan:
>Please, please, spare us from 60s nostalgia. The Civil Rights movement was
>admirable and the embryo of the environmental and women's rights movements
>spun off from the New Left, but the general core of New Left activism can
>only be considered an abysmal failure. And a lot of that came from their
>general scorn for working class power in favor of "do your own thing"
>self-expression and self-indulgence.

Not too hip.

There were multiple generations of the New Left. There was no one 'new left.' All you have to do is compare the Port Huron statement to the Little Red Book. Or compare Mario Savio to Robert Avakian. Quite a gulf there. On balance, I'd say the puritanical left outnumbered the hedonistic left.

The Civil Rights movement was a bi-racial student movement in important respects. It's silly to say put aside race and say there isn't much left. Race was issue numero uno, along with the War, which NN doesn't mention above. One of the first, if not THE first

big anti-war demos did not come from the civil rights movement. It was put on by SDS. The New Left(s) made the anti-war movement. It broke apart in a public way the common presumption that the Gov would routinely tell the truth about major issues.

The issue of the working class was bitterly contested within the new left. Generalizations on this count are baseless. The do your own thing stuff is from Time magazine, not history.

We thought going from university into a profession was self-indulgence.

I could go on, and I probably will . . .

mbs