Save us from 60s Nostalgia (RE: Sweeney Defends Gore Endorsement

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 15 22:04:36 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Of course, generalizations can be challenged; I was challenging the
>generalization that the 60s left can be considered a success or that we
>should be excited that activism today might be resembling that era.

For me, the major excitement is that the level of activism seems to be rising to 60s levels. It's a quantity issue more than a quality one. In fact, as the much-demonized Marc Cooper said to me at the Seattle jailouse demo, "They're smarter than we were."

Now I'm going to be accused of proleptic nostalgia or something. Sorry.

Doug