There's no shame in being elite

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Wed Feb 16 08:44:02 PST 2000

(rebroadcast from yesterday's Daily Princetonian--Ms. Waage is also apparently president of something called the Colonial Club)

There's no shame in being elite

By Melissa Waage '01

The only thing worse than an elitist Ivy

Leaguer is an Ivy Leaguer who’s trying

too hard not to be elitist. The former is

bullheaded and self-promoting. The

latter, however, shoots himself in the

foot. We should not hesitate to

acknowledge our elite status; rather,

we should celebrate and capitalize on it.

This is why.

First, anti-elitism in an Ivy League

student is disingenuous. Some of us go

to great lengths to convince ourselves

and others that there is nothing special

about us or about our place of study.

We complain at any insinuation that we

are part of an elite, or that we are in

any way “better” than our counterparts

at other schools. Such sentiments

speak highly of their bearers’ humble characters, but betray a fairly naive

worldview.

Elite status in America is a matter of public perception, not of true merit.

To say that a person is part of an elite is not to say that he or she is

better than others; it is merely to say that most people believe that they

are better than others. You or I could have slipped through the West

College cracks. We could be dumber than the dumbest kid at a

non-accredited community college. Nonetheless, since we attend

Princeton, people think we’re smart. That’s all it means to be part of an

elite. It is disingenuous to believe otherwise.

Second, anti-elitism in an Ivy Leaguer is cowardly. We all remember the

accolades heaped upon us by classmates and older relatives when they

heard about our acceptance to Princeton or other Ivy League schools. For

those of us with an iota of humility, their reaction was disturbing. We

knew very well at the time that our admission to Princeton over another

qualified applicant probably had less to do with us than with what Dean

Hargadon had for lunch the day he read our application. We made

ourselves believe we weren’t good enough for what we had been given;

that way, we would have an excuse when we didn’t cut the mustard

later on.

This self-deception was rooted in fear — fear that we will not live up to

the expectations society places on us, deserved or not, as a member of

the intellectual elite. This fear has no place in our lives now. Our actions

here help define what is to be expected of Ivy League students, not the

other way around. Those actions are limited only by the amount of

initiative, creativity and work we are willing to display during our time

here.

Finally, and most irksome, anti-elitism in Ivy League students is

counterproductive and limiting of our capacity to do good works. When

we talk, people listen, whether we’re talking about sweatshops,

presidential candidates or startup Internet companies.

Concerned about the fairness of American meritocracy? Rather than

trying to deny that you have an advantage over students at non-Ivy

schools, you should be using that advantage to address and correct your

concern. Most of all, don’t become lazy. Whether through serendipity or

through merit, we have all been given a remarkable opportunity to affect

national public opinion. Let’s not waste it.

(Melissa Waage is a politics major from Johnson City, Tenn. )

"I'm a great believer in humor--however little I have of it."

--William Howard Taft