Save us from 60s Nostalgia (RE: Sweeney Defends Gore Endorsement

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Wed Feb 16 09:50:15 PST 2000

-----Original Message----- From: Nathan Newman

>What bothers me is that a lot of the post-Seattle discussions about labor's
>role seems to be recreating that ultraleft attitude, where cool student
>anarchists are "pure" leftists as opposed to clunky, stupid working class
>union leaders who are just out to sell-out the "movement." I would be the
>last to argue that labor's leaders make the right decisions all the time,
>but I also find self-appointed left intellectuals belittling leaders
>representing millions of workers to be truly destructive hubris. And that
>is the sin of the 60s that I don't want to see return.
>
>-- Nathan Newman

The issue is whether or not opposition to the WTO translates into opposition to the global "free trade" economy. Let's say labor and environmental groups manage to get their reforms enacted at the WTO. We'll see reduced environmental damage in the global South, and those few lucky enough to find work will receive better wages and working conditions. Those are important gains, but they don't confront the underlying problem. It's still neo-colonialism. Poor countries are not being developed for their own good but for the good of foreign investors and multinationals. These are primarily agricultural societies. Their peasant cultures are getting ripped out by the roots, forcing millions into overcrowded and dangerous cities. Does it really matter so much that a small percentage of these people will benefit from labor rights?

I'm not belittling the value of labor rights. But the main issue is the right of a country to determine its own development. Poor countries absolutely should be allowed to protect their agriculture and industries. They should not be obligated to pay their foreign debts. They should be able get loans and grants without having to slash funding for domestic social programs or to put all their energy into exports of raw goods. They should be encouraged to overcome dependence on foreign investment by cultivating their own domestic base of capital. Yes, they should be encouraged to respect labor and human rights, but they should also gain control over their own development. This is never going to happen under current "free-trade" economics. Getting a seat at the table at WTO negotiations is not going to bring about the profound transformations required. Under current economic conditions, undeveloped countries are so desperate for foreign investment that they have no choice but to maintain lax environmental and labor standards. In order to ally ourselves with the South, we must get beyond attempts to regulate the neo-colonial system and bring on its abolition. This is why big labor and big green are deserving of criticism.

Ted