Save us from 60s Nostalgia (RE: Sweeney Defends Gore Endorsement

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Wed Feb 16 12:36:17 PST 2000

Very well-put. Great post. Clearly the "class fraction" that stands to lose the most from global neo-liberalism (like you said, the latest incarnation of neo-colonialism) is the self-sufficient and semi-subsistent peasantry, which is still the bulk of the population in China, South Asia, sub-Saharan Africa. That's why the most radical immediate demands to be made upon today's world system are 1) unconditional debt relief (not the usual "strings attached" approach) and 2) upholding peasant claims to land, water, seeds (i.e. the eradication of Monsanto/Cargill/ADM etc. IP "rights" over genetic material). Neither labor nor environmental standards built into the WTO, or a more "friendly" multilateral trade regime, address or accomplish this. But then, neither will true "political independence" in the neo-colonies in and of itself, since the state in the Third World is not of, for, or by the peasantry. Third World political elites steer toward monocrop agriculture and low wage assembly export sectors not only b/c of falling terms of trade, capital shortages, need for science and technology -- all the historical legacy of "uneven development" -- but also b/c of the articulation of class forces within any given TW country. Social dems in the First World become Third Way'ers; ex-nomenklatura in the Second World become robber barons; non-aligned national developmentalists in the Third World become neo-compradors. It seems like one very valuable thing that the internationalist left of the "North" could be doing is to give practical and financial help to those movements in the "South" that are at one and the same time working to 1) strengthen TW state independence against global neo-liberalism, and 2) strengthen political power of peasant/urban poor sectors within TW states.

Also, some have argued (to my mind, fairly convincingly) that the "big powers" in the WTO (especially the US) are using the threat of labor/environmental standards to get TW countries to kowtow to guaranteeing bio-tech and other TNC's intellectual property rights (high value-added exports from the North).

John Gulick

Ted sez: