Chomsky speaks

Steve Grube grube at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 16 22:14:16 PST 2000

In this case Indonesia is so much under our influence I think it is the case that a simply phone call, more or less, was enough to turn the issue. Indonesia has been very dependent on US advisors and military armaments so it makes perfect sense they would listen if we even cough. I've met Alan Nairn and spoken with him one-on-one and there aren't many like him. He has done top-notch reporting and has put his life on the line. He isn't making a TV anchor's salary doing this. If you have a problem with his "simple phone call" comments then just accept it as legitimate hyperbole.

And, again, yes, the ruling class acts on its own behalf--they're certainly not altruistic or beholden to the poor or working class.