What Workers Think & Objectivity (was Re: Cops Etc)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Thu Feb 17 07:11:55 PST 2000

<< [justin most recently, a man who apparently does not know that his claim is

flat out wrong and is not in any way shape or form supported by evidence;

had he made a similar controversial claim about any other group,

characterizing them negatively he would have been met with a flood of

protest. but here, on a left list, it just passes as common sense, what

everyone just knows]. >>

I am a Michigan-trained political scientist, and them is fighting words. It has a been a few years since I worked in this area, but here's some evidence from resaerach I did when 52% of whites surveyed in the 1991 Narional Race Survey agree with characterizing blacls as 'aggressive or violent,"; 45% as "boastful"; 41% as "complaining"; 34% as "lazy" 21% as "irresponsible." See Sniderman & Piazza, The Scare of Race 1993, p. 45. For more general discussion, not restricted to poll data, see Andrew Hacker;'s Two Nations, ch 12 (a Politics BAsed on Race.). Jennifer Hochschild has also done some excellent work on racisl attitudes. Please not that I am not saying that all white workers are racist, but that a substantial plurality are willing to express racist attitudes. If we can't recognize what we are up against,w e might as well hang it up; it's not bigotry to acknowledge the facts. --jks