Thailand & China

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 17 07:27:46 PST 2000

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com wrote:

>As a matter of logic, exploitation under capitalism is always better than
>the alternative, because people with better alternatives can't be
>exploited.

Well of course, which is the point that Joan Robinson made.

> The point is to ask why _that_ alternative is _the_
>alternative.

But Krugman will never ask that, or he wouldn't have a NYT column. To him the only two choices are exploitation or marginalization. That's why he should burn in hell - because he's trying to make the world of forced binaries, as the pollsters say, seem like the only possible world, and to make guilty liberals comfortable with the concept of exploitation.

> Good God, I'm beginning to sound like Carrol

No you're not.

Doug