Robinson

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 17 09:20:48 PST 2000

[Didn't she say elsewhere that a rising real wage was one of the things that proved Marx wrong?]

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:15:43 -0500 (EST) X-Sender: bhandari at mmp.princeton.edu Message-Id: <v02130502630bf0f15b88@[128.112.71.24]> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" X-mailer: Eudora Pro 2.1.3 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com From: bhandari at mmp.Princeton.EDU (Rakesh Bhandari) Subject: Joan Robinson

>Wasn't her wording more like, "Under capitalism, the only thing worse
>than being exploited is not being exploited"?
>
>Doug

Doug, is this quote from her Essays in The Theory of Employment? There she elaborates a Keynesian forced binary of her own: the worker has to choose between a constantly high level of employment and cosntantly declining real wages (because of an inflationary rise in prices higher than the rise in money wages) and an increase in unemployment accompanied by a rise in real wages. She also goes on to argue against the shortening of the working day. I heard an audio tape of a debate between Joan Robinson and Paul Mattick at Roskdile (sp?) Univ in Denmark around 1975. Needless to say, I think the latter won. Yrs, Rakesh