Save us from 60s Nostalgia (RE: Sweeney Defends GoreEndorsement

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Thu Feb 17 09:33:20 PST 2000

Doug sez:

>I just got back from a talk by Mark Malloch Brown, the new director
>of the UN Development Program(me), and former PR chief of the World
>Bank. Brown - who is a very slick fellow - said that the Washington
>Consensus was "completely derailed" by "Seattle." He proposed a
>"Third Way" of globalization - between the one that rejects the
>antiglobalism of NGOs (and he made it clear that Zedillo was wrong to
>claim in Davos that Seattle was a Northern affair - he said Southern
>NGOs, or CSOs [civil society organizations] as he kept calling them,
>were entirely on board) and the WashCon: said Third Way involved
>making sure that countries adopted the right policies and made the
>right institutional forms to insert themselves into the world
>economy. I suspect this will be the post-Seattle line of the
>bourgeoisie, since Brown is an accomplished publicist.

This is probably neither here nor there, but for quite some time the UNDP's line has been "ecologically sustainable"/"socially equitable" development, where enlightened servants in the multilateral agencies broker beautiful "win-win" alliances among regional development banks, transnational investors, local capitalists, and hand-picked delegates from so-called "civil society." You know the score -- the contradictions of this are wished away by fiat through the usage of "sustainable development" jargon, with such catch-phrases as "building institutional capacity to leverage globalization." Maybe Kofi Annan will be anointed as the high priest of "Third Way globalizatation."

John Gulick