What Workers Think & Objectivity (was Re: Cops Etc)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Feb 17 10:19:50 PST 2000

At 01:28 AM 2/17/00 -0500, Yoshie wrote:
>Is it in the objective interest of the working class to include organized

That is the heart of the entire debate. Who decides what 'objective interests' of the working class are? Kelley and myself argued against a view that pundits have a better and more rational view on that issue than the working class itself. Or to follow Justin's ill conceived analogy to Nazis and Jews - against the position espoused by Heinrich Himmler "it's I who decide who's a Jew."

That is a far cry from subjective empricism as you claim. It's about workingclass becomoing a class "for itself" and becoming aware of its objective interests. My argument was that intellectuals should become a part of that process rather than taking a high moral ground and calling others names because they do not know what the experts do. I think kelley also mentioned Touraine who advocated "sociological intervention" - a sociologist-working class interaction/dialogue desigend to formulate a coherent political position (long before it degenerated into "focus groups" so dear to the US punditocracy).

I moreover think that your choice between cops and teachers/social workers is the debate what kind of professionals should take care of the underclass problem. Both approaches treat the existence of the underclass and social problems they produce as a justification for either police or social work keynesianism, that benefits mainly the professional class. That smacks of medieval 'merit making' - aristorcats using the poor as an opportunity for alms giving to buy social respectablity and a place in heaven.

I do not claim any special links to the working class consciousness, as Justin charges, other than talking to my neighbors and listening to what they say. I do not even claim that I like what I hear from them. But at least I do not call them names because they do not know what I do.

wojtek