"New Class"? Weber Redux! (was Re: whatever [something about objectivity])

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 17 11:41:52 PST 2000

How come no one references Erik O. Wright (whom some stupidly dismiss as insufficiently radical because he hews to the notion of "revolutionary reforms" -- but I digress) in these discussions on class? His books make the most convincing argument I've seen: that people have contradictory class locations based on three axes: their control over WHAT things are produced, HOW things are produced, and legal ownership. Thus people like managers and supervisors; small employers; and semi-autonomous wage earners (many professionals) all have contradictory positions which need to be taken into account.

Call this development beyond simplistic "labor vs. capital" a tool of bourgeois ideology if you like -- but I haven't seen any good response proving that it ain't true.

See: E.O. Wright, Classes (Verso, 1998) E.O. Wright, Class, Crisis and the State (Verso, 1979) "Classes" is more developed and thoughtful in its approach

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2000 1:31 PM Subject: Re: "New Class"? Weber Redux! (was Re: whatever [something about objectivity])