"New Class"? Weber Redux! (was Re: whatever [something about objectivity])

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Thu Feb 17 17:44:20 PST 2000

<< Used to see his work more often, is he still at Univ. of Wisconsin? >>

Yes. And he has a new volume, Class Counts, well, relatively new. I think you hear less from him because his analytical Marxist mileu collapsed. There is a good critical discussion of his views in Recent Marxisn Theory, by Sitton. The upshot of these criticisms, which I think is justifies, is that Wright is too mechanical. He tries to read ideology off class position, and spends a lot of effort trying to get the class position specified just right. Nothing wrong with the latter attempt, and nothing wrong with trying to see how far you can get in explaining political behavior and ideology from raw material interests, but I was bitten by E.P. Thompson at an early age, so I don't think you can get all that far with that approach.

--jks