Clinton/Sweeney Amnesty Plan

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Fri Feb 18 06:38:12 PST 2000

>On Behalf Of Tom Lehman
>
> Yeah, I guess that explains those California types like Richard
> Nixon & Ronald
> Reagan and whoever the next California anti-christ turns out to be.

The point is that Nixon and Reagan types are history in a California that promises to be one of the solid Democratic states in the country. Remember, California is now one of the only states in the country with a Dem Gov and two Dem Senators (Maryland and Hawaii I think the only others). And that's no accident. It is becoming of the highest density union states along with being one of the most racially diverse.

This was hidden for a number of years because so few latinos were voting. Half the population was non-white, but only 20% of the electorate was non-white. Prop 187 encouraged a backlash where resident aliens who had never gotten their citizenship did so and registered, while others were inspired to get politcally active.

Perception is only slowly catching up with reality, but the reality is going to be that California is going to be producing some of the most solid progressive and pro-labor politicians for the next generation.

> This Clinton/Sweeney illegal alien amnesty plan will only skew
> things even more
> towards banana republic style politics in the USA.

What the heck does that mean? As opposed to the horrors out many Midwest governors (who you normally document)? The new California legislature has been pounding out pro-worker legislation, from restoring daily overtime over eight hours per day of work to requiring agency fees from all public employees with recognized unions - where other states are trying to destroy the dues collection of public employees.

If California is a banana republic, then all hail the land of fruits :)

-- Nathan Newman