EMH

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 18 09:23:16 PST 2000

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:04:05 -0500 From: Enrique Diaz-Alvarez <enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu> Organization: Cornell University X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (X11; U; HP-UX B.10.20 9000/735) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: EMH a hypothesis? References: <80256889.002BCCB5.00 at notesjanus.flemings.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com wrote:

> Efficient market theory isn't really a "theory" in this sense -- it's an
> empirical claim about stock markets. There are numerous different and
> incompatible theories of the underlying "microstructure", most of which are
> at least consistent with "the efficient markets hypothesis".
>
> dd

Dumb question: EMH says that "prices in an efficient market will reflect all available information". But for this to be a testable hypothesis, instead of a tautology, there needs to be a way to determine the "price which reflects all available information" that is independent of market prices, right? Then we could go ahead and *test* the theory, by looking at the prices in a largely efficient market, such as the US, and checking them with our indepedently-determined "pricves reflecting all availabel information".

Absent such a method for determining prices, isn't EMH about as meaningful as saying that in a parallel universe, I am married to Tyra Banks?

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique