Clinton/Sweeney Amnesty Plan

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Fri Feb 18 13:35:47 PST 2000

> M.Blackmore wrote:
> >OK, for us furrinners, what the 'ell is the Clinton/Sweeney Amnesty Plan?
>
> >Washington Post - February 17, 2000
> >Unions Ask Amnesty for Illegal Aliens
> >By Frank Swoboda
> >Washington Post Staff Writer
> >NEW ORLEANS, Feb. 16 - In a significant policy shift, organized
> >labor today called for amnesty for an estimated 6 million illegal
> >immigrants and repealing current law that imposes sanctions on
> >employers that hire them.
> Doug

>> in mid-october, there were moves to get the AFL-CIO to
>> support the declaration of an amnesty and to reverse many of the sanctions
>> relating to undocumented workers. no mention of this at all in the final
>> policy. fine, so many things were won. but it remains the case that when
>> it came to issues such as these, the AFL-CIO pulled back.
>> Angela

> If memory serves, leadership 'arranged' for brief debate before sending
> resolution on above to public policy committee. I understood agreement
> that leadership made with farmworker, garment, hotel, janitorial, and
> restaurant delegates supporting resolution to include 'town hall'
> meetings in Atlanta, Chicago, LA & NYC before year's end, after which a
> report is to be filed with executive council for possible January vote.
> Any listers have updates - have/are meetings been/being held?

Above is portion of post from Angela and post of mine from December '99. I asked question about procedure but no listers replied. Maybe no one had an answer (but since so few of my posts elicit responses/comments maybe nobody reads what I send in). In any event, I'll try again. Was announcement earlier this week calling for amnesty result of above process? Michael Hoover