Sweeney Defends Gore Endorsement

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Sat Feb 19 00:17:27 PST 2000

>Dace wrote:
>
>>The "blue-green" alliance is a wonderful thing. But just as importantly,
we
>>need a North-South alliance. Sweeney stands with Clinton and Gore, not
with
>>the primary victims of global capital.
>
>Sweeney isn't identical with organized labor, and even the
>organization he heads is doing a lot more to solidarize (gag, what an
>awful word) with unions in the South. Any generalization about U.S.
>labor, other than that it's full of contradictions and internal
>conflict, seems to oversimplify.
>
>Talk about contradictory class positions...
>
>Doug

Regarding the alliances Big Labor is developing with unions in the South, are these efforts directed toward ultimately stemming the tide of peasants being driven into the maw of the Beast? Or will newly emerging labor rights help only the "lucky" few who manage to get work in the metastasizing market economies of the world's SAPped nations? The AFL-CIO, at least under current leadership, is not prepared to defy the Clinton/Gore neoliberal agenda. When it comes to big issues, Big Labor will cave. Our opponents are not limited to the corporate elite. Sometimes any elite will do.

ted