amnesty

Andrew English aenglish at igc.org
Sat Feb 19 08:22:46 PST 2000

Actually, the union in this particular case (Holiday Inn Express in Minneapolis) won the election and negotiated a first contract. The hotel called in the INS after the union won the election in an obvious attempt at retaliation. The local labor community rallied in outraged protest, and the NLRB issued the fines in an expedited process.

Still, there even though this group of workers did successfully organize, the employers' action in calling in the INS and getting the workers deported (despite the compensation the workers received from the NLRB process) may likely have a chilling effect on other immigrant workers organizing. So the results are mixed.

-Andy English Twin Cities, MN