FROP etc

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 19 12:19:34 PST 2000

Charles Brown wrote:

>But Marx's theory of the business cycle , FROP and contradictorily
>overproduction/underconsumption, is a theory of cyclical , not
>capitalism endtime , crisis, isn't it ?

Well that's what I'm trying to get all the FROP fans to clarify. If it's just a theory of the business cycle, that's not uninteresting, but it's also about as conventional a kind of economics as you can find. Every standard issue Wall Street economist does business cycle economics. I don't think Anwar Shaikh wants to be taken for a member of the NBER Business Cycle Dating Committee. But if it's a more long-term theory, then where is it pointing? You (a general you, not a specific you) are going to have a hard time convincing me that FROP theory isn't something that wants to be a theory of terminal crisis, even if its proponents have gotten shy about admitting that at this late date.

Doug