Sweeney Defends Gore Endorsement

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 19 13:19:59 PST 2000

jf noonan wrote:

>So what, exactly, (other than to endorse Gore) is the AFL-CIO
>for? It sounds like a big, fat, purposeless bureaucracy.

It could be doing more nationally coordinated organizing, for one; individual unions aren't all as enthusiastic about that project as they should be. But I'm not really talking about the actually existing Federation as general principles of organization. I can't see how you can fight Big Capital without (nonpejoratively named) Big Labor. Lots of little grassroots actions sound sweet, but they won't work. Somehow you've got to combine size and democratic accountability.

Doug