Karl Marx, the Bohemian Club, and the State of Feminism...

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Mon Feb 21 00:20:51 PST 2000

>My brother pointed out that in the real
>ruling class institutions of Wall Street, a "gentlemen's club" is a
>strip show,

Yep.

>and that you can get fired for taking people to one these
days.

If only. Maybe, once in a blue moon, if there female clients present, and they complained, and you were particularly drunk, and you weren't a big revenue producer. But my intuition is that many more people are sacked every year for not going to strip clubs ["failing to entertain clients"] than for going to them. I have a certain reputation in my firm for being a dangerous oddball, plus attending a "gentleman's club" would be enough to get me dumped on the spot by the lovely Tess with no hope of appeal, but there are two salesmen in our NY office who still repeatedly suggest a trip downtown, so it's not just a London thing. The sooner political correctness goes mad in our industry, the f'kng better, AFAIAC. Maybe Yank houses are a bit better? but Goldmans' reputation for harassment suits suggests otherwise.

>Additional bait was to be
>"a wonderful dinner in the Club's beautiful City Clubhouse."

If my experience with these affairs is anything to go by, you can take comfort in knowing that the food would have been shit.

dd

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

immediately on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.

_____