bull market reasoning (corrected)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Feb 21 13:11:46 PST 2000

John Gulick wrote:

>No doubt a lot of Wall Street money is flowing into high-tech stocks b/c
>of reasonable expectations of future profits, current asset-earnings
>ratios be damned. And you're also right to point out that some correct
>guesses will be richly rewarded, and some other wrong guesses will be
>sternly punished. But isn't a lot of liquid capital flowing into
>high-tech stocks simply b/c there's no better place to park it (in part
>b/c of E. Asian doldrums/strong dollar), and this engenders an upward
>spiral of speculation, unrelated to "reasonable expectations" (i.e. your
>classic bubble) ?

A set of speculative stocks seems to be the last place one would want to "park...a lot of liquid capital," particularly at a time when absolutely secure long-term bonds are yielding a real interest rate exceeding 5% p.a. IMO the term "bubble" is not the best one to describe so selective (among sectors) a market, particularly when, in whatever is currently the most dynamic sector, there are periodic sharp declines in price that, far from "puncturing" a bubble, merely set the stage for a further advance *of those stocks that reasonably merit a leadership role*.

Shane