Motown meets Marxism: Book review from Detroit Metrotimes

Tue Feb 22 14:30:19 PST 2000

You know what the Rolling Stones say about the needs and desires thread ? You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.

CB

>>> Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari at mmp.Princeton.EDU> 02/22/00 03:53PM >>>
> Contrary to Rakesh, on the great 10 part history of rock and roll that
>PBS runs about once a year, the episode on the Rolling Stones and the other
>British Invasion bands like The Animals, has a clip of Brian Jones
>introducing Howlin' Wolf from a British TV show.

The debt may be cursorily acknowledged by the Rolling Stones themselves, not by most who listen to them. Of course this may all change with the mocking of Pat Boone in the Little Richard special (the last thing I saw before our tv was disconnected again). As for whether Mick Jagger is a racist, it'd be interesting to talk to his half black daughter who dated an artist who was the exboyfriend of my old girlfriend who was cheating on me with him. That's about as close to fame as I am going to get.

rb