Alienation, Etc. (was Re: FROP etc)

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Tue Feb 22 21:38:02 PST 2000

Geez, Chas - this is three posts in a row where we agree!

I reckon historical humanity necessarily has a (relatively) timeless bunch of stuff in it. Gotta have. Our drive to be free is as much there in Hittite rebellions against Thutmoses as it is in the Lesbos strike as it is in the Judean revolt against the Romans, the Gnostic dissentors, the serf's revolt of 1525 etc etc. What we want freedom from, what we want to be free to do, and what unfreedoms we make for ourselves in these pursuits are, natch, historical, as James's post best highlights.

If Foucault's allowed to posit Nietzche's will to power within a purportedly anti-humanist post-structuralist context, we may surely reserve the right to posit a will to freedom? Our claim seems much less contradicted by the materialist conception of history than does Foucault's by his particular theoretical universe.

Indeed I'm not sure there's much Marx left if we don't allow ourselves that call.

That said, I'm trying not to give the impression I disagree categorically with Yoshie, James and Ken H. I don't. I just reckon there's a lot of the Rift Valley still in us, albeit ever in play with the historical moment.

Cheers, Rob.