antiwar conference

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 23 17:42:03 PST 2000

[Thanks to Michael Pugliese for forwarding this. Alex Cockburn is keeping some strange company these days.]

From: Antiwar.com <egarris at antiwar.com> To: Antiwar Daily <antiwar-list at free-market.net> Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 11:45 AM Subject: Antiwar-List: Antiwar.com Conference

Dear Antiwar.com supporter:

Pat Buchanan, Alexander Cockburn, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) and Lenora Fulani -- at the same conference? "How did you arrange that, Justin," a friend asked. Well, I told him, it wasn't easy, let me tell you, I answered, but you know: only an issue as vital as the question of war and peace could bring such diverse people to the same platform.

"Beyond Left and Right: The New Face of the Antiwar Movement" is the theme we have chosen for this year's conference, which will take place March 24 through the 26th, at the Villa Hotel in San Mateo, California, and our speakers list reflects this mix of ideologies.

On Friday, March 24. Patrick J. Buchanan gives the keynote speech, a major foreign policy address that will reflect and expand on the conference theme. Joining Buchanan at this conclave will be Alexander Cockburn, Saturday's luncheon speaker, one of the last of the old-fashioned anti-imperialist lefties still left standing. A longtime columnist for the Nation, and editor of the lively Counterpunch, Cockburn will tell us how and why much of the Left sold out to the War Party.

But that is just the beginning of what we have in store for you. Our speakers list includes all the most notable enemies of the War Party:

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), the conscience of the Congress and the one elected official we can count on to hold up the banner of peace and noninterventionism, on "Fighting the War Party in Congress."

Tom Fleming, the fiery and erudite editor of Chronicles, flagship journal of the antiwar Right, with a look at "The Culture of Imperialism."

Joe Farah, editor of WorldNetDaily, a veteran conservative journalist and former editor of the Sacramento Bee, will tell us how the New Media is challenging the War Party's journalistic monopoly.

Dr. Lenora Fulani, the controversial Reform Party founding member and longtime left-wing activist -- who had the courage to break with political correctness and join the Buchanan Brigades -- will give us her insights into the how the political process is designed to limit democratic control over the nation's foreign policy.

Add to this our Antiwar.com columnists George Szamuely, Alan Bock, and yours truly, and we have the makings of what may well turn out to be a truly historic event. And it's even affordable!

Yes, you heard me right -- affordable: Usually these conferences are pricey affairs, with high fees going to speakers and lots of fancy frills. Not here! Everyone of our speakers is participating at personal sacrifice. We have a no frills, no meals package priced at only $75.00!

Of course, Antiwar.com and CLS, organizers of this conference, operate on a shoe-string and do not seek profit --but making money isn't the point. The point is communicating our ideas, and getting the Antiwar.com community together: we are building a movement..

If you want the package with meals (lunch and the banquet on Saturday), you still get a reasonable price: $125.

If I were you I would get my reservations in a.s.a.p. -- this is going to be a sold-out, standing-room-only event.

To make sure you get a seat, call Sybil now at 800-325-7257. (She can also get you a special rate at the hotel, and make your reservations). Or you can send your check or money order, payable to the Center for Libertarian Studies, to: P.O. Box 4091, Burlingame CA 94011.

It has been nearly a year since Antiwar.com first raised the banner of a peaceful noninterventionist foreign policy in cyberspace, and in that time we have been the locus of a growing movement that transcends the narrow and outdated categories of "right" and "left." Now we are bringing that movement together in what may prove to be an historic conference that you really don't want to miss. Since we first posted the tentative conference schedule, people have been signing up at an amazing rate and we anticipate running out of room in the very near future -- so don't delay! Get your reservation in today.

In peace and liberty,

Justin Raimondo Editorial Director Antiwar.com