WFP & HRC

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Feb 24 12:47:56 PST 2000

>On Behalf Of Andrew English
>
> Live in a right-to-work state and you'll discover that virtually
> all of the Democratic
> candidates in that state support maintaining the right-the-work law along
> with the Republicans.
> It wasn't just the Republicans who fought labor law reform. Otherwise it
> would have passed
> in one of the several occasions since 1947 that the Democrats held both
> houses of Congress and
> the Presidency.

Yes, in right-to-work states where unions barely exist as a counterweight to corporate power, some Democrats have opposed labor law reform. But as stated, in 1966, 1978 and 1994, majorities of the House and Senate voted for major labor law improvements, with the overwhelming number of Democrats voting for passage and only GOP-led filibusters by a minority of Senators leading to defeat.

And since we are talking about a Democrat in a non-right-to-work state, the deviations of Boll Weevil democrats - an increasingly scarce breed in any case as GOPers have taken their place - is essentially a rhetorical distraction from the main point:

A few more Democrats in the Senate is not merely a "lesser-evil" issue but could mean the accomplishment of serious positive change in labor law if GOP filibusters could be overcome.

-- Nathan Newman