WFP & HRC

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Feb 24 16:23:49 PST 2000

>On Behalf Of Andrew English
>
> I lived in Arizona almost 20 years and never heard a single Democratic
> candidate
> make an issue out of repealing right-to-work, and heard many of them say
> they
> supported keeping it. That includes house, senate, gubernatorial
> and state
> legislative candidates.
>
> -Andy English

Don't know how past Democratic Senators from Arizona voted on labor law reform back in 1966 and 1978, but Senator Deconcini of Arizona was in the pro-labor column in the vote to ban permanent replacement workers in 1994. So even in one of the most rightwing states like Arizona, electing Dems to the Senate makes a big difference in defending workers rights.

And of course John McCain, the Republican Senator from Arizona, voted against labor on the vote.

So in that sense, Arizona is a perfect example of the critical difference electing Democrats rather than Republicans to the Senate makes.

And I of course endorse David Glenn's comments that pragmatic voting is not the issue-- what makes the difference is mobilizing and organizing to keep the pressure on politicians elected with progressive support. But having a vote that can be pressured is a first step.

-- Nathan Newman