27-1

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 24 23:13:08 PST 2000

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Doug Henwood wrote:

> ... When I was briefly writing for the late DC bizmag, Regardie's, my
> editor there said that the city had lots of "affluent" people, but no
> super-rich. I wish I had the figures for Manhattan; they'd probably
> make DC look like Sweden. Doug

I'm faintly hesitant to mention Chomsky again, even in a different context, but in an article for the February 1995 Z Magazine ("Rollback," Part II), he wrote

"In New York, a draft proposal of Governor-elect George Pataki's administration calls for a cut of over $1 billion in Medicaid, while Mayor Rudolph Giuliani proposed a 25 percent reduction in Medicaid and other help for the poor. To better comprehend these measures, one may bear in mind that in Manhattan the income gap between rich and poor is greater than in Guatemala, and within the U.S. is surpassed only by a group of 70 households in a former leper colony in Hawaii. The gap widened in the 1980s more than in any other county with over 50,000 people."

The note to this paragraph reads, "Lucinda Harper, WSJ, Dec. 5; Sam Roberts, NYT, Dec. 25, 1994."

--C. G. Estabrook