WFP & HRC

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Feb 24 23:13:22 PST 2000

>On Behalf Of Doug Henwood
>
> Speaking of which, has HRC herself spoken up on this topic? Is she
> out there on the stump supporting the right to organize? Just what
> does HRC stand for anyway, Nathan?

When you see Rudy giving a similar speech, drop me a line-- NN

Associate Press Saturday, October 16, 1999 First lady cites importance of labor unions

NEW YORK (AP) - Hillary Rodham Clinton threw her support behind organized labor Saturday, telling a New York union that the worker's movement has helped make America an economic powerhouse.

"I would argue that the union movement has allowed us to live as we do in the U.S.," said a smiling first lady.

Citing the Clinton administration's commitment to labor laws, Mrs. Clinton said she was "very proud" of what White House's partnership with labor organizations has accomplished.

To enthusiastic applause, Mrs. Clinton listed labor-related programs she supported, such as a higher minimum wage, the patient's bill of rights and an enlarged earned-income tax credit.

At a news conference after the speech, she said that federal labor laws must make clear "that there cannot be any breaks or comforts given to those who would bust unions."