freedom of assembly, Rudy style

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Feb 25 09:24:28 PST 2000

"William S. Lear" wrote:

> Sorry if this is completely ignorant, but has the ACLU expressed a
> position on this?

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd like to say that if the ACLU DID have a position, the Rudy rule won't go away until people challenge it. In recent years, the police have gotten away with placing more and more restrictions on the nature and places of demonstrations, pickets and marches. They get away with this because nobody challenges the rules. I'm hoping that this will change, now that everybody seems to be much bolder in the wake of Seattle.

Boy, I can remember marching on the streets of Lawrence, KS during the mid-80s for South Africa divestment. We didn't get permits and the cops didn't hassle us. Once they showed up, they usually drove their squad cars behind us on the streets so we wouldn't get hit by cars.

-- << Chuck0 >> Homepage: http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/ Mid-Atlantic Infoshop: http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review: http://flag.blackened.net/apr/

Free Leonard Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe