WFP & HRC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 25 11:38:27 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

> >On Behalf Of Doug Henwood
>>
>> Didn't Bill Clinton make his promise to allow same-sexers into the
>> military before an audience of rich G/Ls? They got out their
>> checkbooks and ended up with a stupid policy and more actual
>> expulsions than before. I detect a pattern.
>
>Yes, a pattern of fulfilling part of promises, which is better than none.
>
>Discrimination against gays in all civilian areas of the government,
>including the CIA and civilian military personnel, has been abolished
>throughout the federal government. That the GOP and conservative Dems like
>Sam Nunn were going to vote for a complete ban on gays in the military
>forced the "don't ask, don't tell" policy as a compromise.

Clinton's the goddam Commander in Chief. He could have imposed a new standard but he didn't, because the only people he feels the need to compromise with are those to his right.

Expulsions of gays and lesbians are higher now than they were before Clinton's new policy. He and his dear wife say many nice things - though they say many awful things as well - but what they do is another matter entirely.

>And like your disdain for the intelligence of labor leaders, black leaders,
>and environmental leaders who have endorsed Gore (or Bradley in a few
>cases), you have to assume that the gay rights groups that have endorsed
>Gore are also idiots who cannot balance gains and failures to make a
>rational endorsement.

Idiots? That's not the word I'd use. Some of them are opportunists - they'll cut any sort of deal in exchange for "access." Some of them are remarkably self-deluded, but that's a deformation professionelle of liberals, no?

Doug