freedom of assembly, Rudy style

Dace edace at flinthills.com
Fri Feb 25 11:52:00 PST 2000

>Boy, I can remember marching on the streets of Lawrence, KS during the
>mid-80s for South Africa divestment. We didn't get permits and the cops
>didn't hassle us. Once they showed up, they usually drove their squad
>cars behind us on the streets so we wouldn't get hit by cars.
>
>--
><< Chuck0 >>

You and I must have been in the same march. I remember two anti-apartheid marches in the spring of '85, both leading to the Kansas University Endowment Association. At the first one, 16 were arrested, and at the second one, it was about 50. I remember sorority girls making fun of us as we walked up the hill toward Iowa Street. The police were incredibly polite. They took great care not to hurt Boog Highberger as they carried him off the steps of KUEA. I got the feeling that the bad old days of police riots were over forever. Perhaps what's changed is that the wind is blowing a different direction now, and the state feels threatened again.

Ted