Liberal Democracy (was Robert Mundell: Genius unbound)

Fri Feb 25 13:26:40 PST 2000

>Euro-American-Japanese exploitation of Third World resources and labor is so
>thoroughly enmeshed in our economy that the benefits are probably
>incalculable. Where would we be without all that cheap oil, cheap metal,
>cheap coffee, etc.? It's not just a matter of multinational profits. A lot
>of the profits are passed on directly to us, the consumers, in the form of
>lower prices. And what about the billions siphoned off each year in the
>form of Third World payments on debt interest? That would have to be added
>in as well. I would love to see a dollar figure on how much we steal from
>the poor every year. Europe's take could easily prove comensurate with its
>social spending.
>
>Dace

Oil ain't that cheap--and the countries that most of it comes from are pretty rich. Coffee's pretty cheap--but Brazil wouldn't be exporting any had not capitalism introduced coffee to the Americas.

The average import into America comes from a country with a GDP per worker level more than 70% of the U.S., and that level has been rising since World War II.

Imports from countries with GDP per worker levels less than half that of the U.S. amount to 0.9% of U.S. GDP. Even if all those goods were obtained by the U.S. at a price of only 1/3 their fair value, that still means that less than 2% of the American standard of living comes from exploitation of the Third World.

And debt interest from abroad is not a big contributor to U.S. GDP--although it is a big cause of misery in Africa and Latin America.

Brad DeLong