Derrida, Habermas, and Theology

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 25 13:29:36 PST 2000

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:33:07 -0500 Chris Doss <itschris13 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Pugliese wrote:

> (are theologians hip to Habermas? And did I really see a
> >book on Derrida and God, the other day?)

(don't know how I missed that!)

> Derrida is all the rage among theologians who are big on negative theology.

Derrida's influence on contemporary "postmodern" theology simply can't be overstated. To paraphrase a talk I once read (once i realized they were handing out copies of the lecture at the lecture, i left), "through the cracks of differance, we can see the resurrected christ" - almost lost my liquid lunch (such as it is at conferences).

> I read some essays a while back in a book entitled "Habermas and Theology."
> Mostly Protestant theologians. Habermas wrote an amusing introduction
> giving his imprimatur to the book, saying in effect that "well, I have no
> idea why my ideas should be relevant to theologians, but I'll accept that
> these people know what they're talking about," if I recollect properly.

Habermas, Modernity and Public Theology - ed. Fiorenza and Browning. Public theology is hip for those who don't want to tread down the postmodern path - David Tracy, Charles Taylor (we have to be able to communicate with God before we can communicate with other people). Again, barfing in my beer. In any event, Habermas's response is rather hilarious - something to the effect, "you guys are morons, but if i tell you the truth it will shatter your worldview, so you can have your religion, just keep it in the bathroom." Of course, Habermas would never have said it like that.

So, an atheist at an RC U, eh? I'm a religionist who doesn't study religion. We should compare air bags sometime.

ken